Plants and flowers move. When you work, as I do, on form, color and detail of a particular subject, you are certain to be surprised. Buds open too soon. Flowers turn toward the sun, intensify in color, drop their petals. Leaves grow, curl or shrivel. Some subjects dry up before I can capture them on paper or canvas. The light is not always right.
To control the forces of nature, I sometimes rely on photography.
This blog is my photo gallery of BOTANICAL SUBJECTS.
© All images on this blog are copyrighted under United States and International Copyright laws. They may not be used for any purpose without my written permission.

Golden Rain Tree Pods

© Eva-Maria Ruhl

 A gift from my friend Jane Ingalls who appreciates my love of pods and dry plant debris. Aren't these rain tree pods spectacular? They make a soft sound when moved, like raindrops on a roof. Jane pointed this out to me. She is a "sound" person, formerly with Washington Opera and now a Voiceover Artist.

© Eva-Maria Ruhl
oil on board






See my watercolor paintings of these pods HERE.


Even though these pods are dry and will most likely not change over time, I like to photograph them. Every once in a while pods and seeds will have hidden bugs. I am not a fan of bugs in my studio. The photographs ensure bug free subjects.