Plants and flowers move. When you work, as I do, on form, color and detail of a particular subject, you are certain to be surprised. Buds open too soon. Flowers turn toward the sun, intensify in color, drop their petals. Leaves grow, curl or shrivel. Some subjects dry up before I can capture them on paper or canvas. The light is not always right.
To control the forces of nature, I sometimes rely on photography.
This blog is my photo gallery of BOTANICAL SUBJECTS.
© All images on this blog are copyrighted under United States and International Copyright laws. They may not be used for any purpose without my written permission.

Helleborus niger, Lenten Rose



Helleborus niger, Lenten or Christmas Rose
This early bloomer is one of my favorites. I recently finished two oil paintings of this lovely flower called "Winter Jewel" and "Delirious". These photographs were taken in preparation for the paintings, which took over six weeks to complete. I was happy to have  reference photographs. The flowers fade to a dusty pink and then to a muddy green. 
To view the paintings click
Both paintings will be exhibited at the Delaware Art Museum. For details click 







© Eva-Maria Ruhl